ChicagoBearsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CubsHQ: An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

CubsHQ: An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR

Nov 14, 2018, 3:10 PM

An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR

While everyone is focused on names like Machado, Harper, Corbin and Pollock, the fact remains that there are about 173 other free-agents out there this season, and that doesn’t count the non-tender class that will be added to the FA list in about two weeks. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CubsHQ: An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR

Dec 16, 2018, 11:22 AM

Hi all. Longtime Cubs fan, first-time poster in this forum. At any rate, I agree with this author. Tieing up big money in one player is almost always a trap. I do think Ottavio would be a strong bullpen move. I read another article that says, what you currently see is what you are going to get. I also believe that to be true. Of the people on the current roster, we know Morrow will be on the DL and Russell will be suspended. Ottavio would help fill the void left by Morrow. Strop probably closes until Morrow is healthy. I would probably bad contract swap Chatwood for Russell Martin then Caratini could be sent to the minors for polish and possibly traded at the deadline if a need arises. If my math is right that leaves them looking for one infielder or one relief pitcher.

C - Contreras
1B - Rizzo
2B - Zobrist
SS - Baez
3B - Bryant
LF - Schwarber
CF - Almora
RF - Heyward

Bench - Happ, Bote, Martin (assumed), minor league contract SS
Suspended - Russell

SP - Lester, Hendricks, Hamels, Quintana, Darvish (no particular order)
RP - Strop, Edwards, Cisheck, Kinsler, Duensing, Montgomery, Rosario, Ottavio (assumed)
DL - Morrow

Well, there is my two cents. Maybe Ottavio is too expensive. Maybe Chatwood is not traded and takes that spot in the pen. In which case Caratini retains his spot on the major league roster.
The newest rumors about a free agent shortstop are probably most realistic. Unless someone like Bote is learning to play SS in the off-season and we don't know about it. But that is how I would play it if I had any say so. Hopefully, a healthy Bryant and Darvish are like getting the two All-Star caliber players the fans want. Joe was right to point out that they went cold at the wrong time but they did win 95 games. You don't just sneeze and win 95 games.

Dec 17, 2018, 10:33 AM

great first-time post!

I agree with you on most of your points.

Hopefully, some of the younger guys will have a stellar season like Bryant and Contreras which would help some.

Dec 20, 2018, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: CubsHQ: An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR ]

First and foremost, thanks for the response.

I think there's probably going to be a lot more to it than an infielder and just one reliever. They signed Descalso, and they're still in on Tulowitzki. With the latest round of allegations from Russell's ex and his first child's mother, I really think his days are limited. Whether true or a ploy for money and attention, the two woman have obviously teamed up to cause havoc- a little research has taught me that they are friends with each other on twitter and Instagram. Even with the addition of Descalso, I think they still go after an infielder who can play on a consistent basis. Not that Descalso is incapable, but I see him more as a replacement utility-man for La Stella.

Moving to the bullpen, there will be several holes to plug. Justin Wilson is gone, Chavez is gone, Morrow will miss the first month of 2019 (minimum) and I can't see them hanging onto Duensing. I spoke with Anthony Bass recently, and he told me that he feels Hottovy will be able to help Chatwood turn it around, and that he should be able to help Kintzler as well, but we still have to worry about a now-undependable Edwards, Junior.

A lot of young names in that pen, and I don't see Maples, Mills or Norwood carrying it. Limited money for free-agent signings, so look for trades- I'm guessing Happ for sure, MAYBE Heyward if they can swing a deal with SF (assuming J-Hey doesn't have SF as a team listed in his no-trade clause). Theo has turned away offers for Schwarber at this point, but it wouldn't surprise me if he'd get traded for the right offer.

Weird position for the Cubs this year- solid yet weak all at the same time. Stay tuned, I think the hammer will start coming down within the next 3 weeks.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:11 AM

I would be very excited if Heyward got traded along with his massive contract. I don't think he is a horrible player but the contract has been a killer with his limited bat.

I know he has great defense but a right fielder batting 8th or on the bench with that contract is no bueno. Hopefully, the Giants will want to talk that money on cause Cubs have a ton of outfielders to choose from.

They then could use the money on SP and RP better.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:37 AM

Between the $186M they spent on Darvish, Chatwood and Morrow last year, plus the multi-millions on Heyward, the Cubs are upside down and knee deep in broken down and defective layers. Heyward COULD be the saving Grace in that equation, but not so far.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:44 AM

The Heyward signing hurt badly regardless of his late innings talk to galvanize his teammates during the 2016 World Series.

I would have done a speech for 100 million less.

Dec 20, 2018, 12:38 PM

Yeah, the intangibles are nice, but not worth 100M+. I'd think a .290 batting average would be just as inspiring.

Dec 20, 2018, 1:11 PM

Agreed. him actually hitting in the regular season and postseason would help too

Dec 20, 2018, 1:15 PM

I still say Cubs go 80% trade and maybe 20% FA signings this off-season. People WILL be getting moved.

Dec 20, 2018, 2:05 PM

Less than 100 days to go till the season starts. I'm excited about spring training this season.

Dec 20, 2018, 4:19 PM

I agree. I'm excited for both baseball to return and to see what the Cubs unveil for 2019. I have little doubt that there will be new faces, and even less doubt that we will field a contending team, but I'm interested to see WHO gets to make the roster.

Dec 21, 2018, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: CubsHQ: An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR ]

::::Looking nervously around the room, covering up my Heyward jersey::::

Dec 21, 2018, 9:01 PM

LOL...no Heyward jersey here.

Dec 22, 2018, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: CubsHQ: An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR ]

Yeah, you might want to try and etch a "Giants" name into that one...

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic